Windrock Aug 5-6, 2017

Home Forums Happenings Club Meetings and Rides Windrock Aug 5-6, 2017

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Justin Yates 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Clint Harris
    Keymaster

Ok, so far we have myself, Jon, Erik and Jerry on tap for the trip. How about anyone else?

Second question, is there a campground preference? I’m good with any of the 3 that we usually stay in (Windrock Gap at $35, Windrock Park at $38 or Half Moon at $30). I’d honestly prefer the Windrock Gap Campground, which was formerly known as Sportsman’s Campground, though. I just hate pulling that hill into the Windrock Park campground with the RV. And the fact that the Windrock Gap campground actually has some shade! Yes, no sewer at the Windrock Gap but that’s no big deal since they have a shower house and a dump station anyhow.

🙂
    Clint

Jeff McAllister
    Participant

I’ll be out of town.

Justin Yates
    Participant

How’d the trip go?

I’d like to go down to Windrock at some point but I’m not setup for camping just yet. What do you guys mostly camp in? RV/camper/tent? I have an 18′ car hauler that I’ve been debating on buying a pop-up and putting on the front.

When you guess go riding do you trail ride or go for the more technical stuff? I’m not opposed to some light technical riding but hate to bang up a brand new machine too bad, plus I’ve always got my boy with me. I know Erik, which makes me worried. Haha! 🙂

Clint Harris
    Keymaster

Didn’t end up going, everyone but me backed out the week prior…

We usually camp in some campers, I’ve got an older motorhome and just pull my RZR behind it. Jerry has his toy hauler, and Erik just bought him a 25′ tag-along. The campgrounds have cabins which are usually available, that’s not really a bad way to go especially if it’s only for a night!

The riding depends really, I’m in a XP4 1000 so it’s a sled, I can’t go on a lot of the super-technical trails because the length of my machine and lack of ground clearance prohibits it. I end up winching in places where I shouldn’t, I’ll just get caught on a random rock or log. I miss my 2-seater.

If you ride with Erik and Jerry it’s probably going to be some of the more technical trails. Personally, I like riding and seeing more of the mountain than just the same 3 or 4 trails all the time though. There’s a ton of good trails and places to see. Not just at Windrock but everywhere around the area on the different trails. For me, I don’t like to stay on the green trails all the time. I prefer the blue trails which are mildly technical with a few green and some short black trails mixed in.

You know Erik so you understand how he is, he won’t even go on a trail ride if he doesn’t feel like he’ll get his adrenaline rush out of it. Which is fine, we all have our thing. But that doesn’t mean it determines what the rest of us do also!

Justin Yates
    Participant

Yeah, that’s kinda how I am with the blue trails. I think I’m going to take a few weeks off so I don’t burn out the family (we’ve gone somewhere probably 4 of the last 5 weekends). Next time we go somewhere I’ll post up. I’d really like to go to Stone Mountain down in Pennington Gap. I’ve been told my multiple people that it’s the best trail in regards to both fun and scenery.

Justin Yates
    Participant

Yeah, that’s kinda how I am with the blue trails. I think I’m going to take a few weeks off so I don’t burn out the family (we’ve gone somewhere probably 4 of the last 5 weekends). Next time we go somewhere I’ll post up. I’d really like to go to Stone Mountain down in Pennington Gap. I’ve been told by multiple people that it’s the best trail in regards to both fun and scenery of the Spearhead Trails atleast.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.